Construction Site Control: Provision C.6 in the Municipal Regional Permit

As required by Provision C.6 in the Municipal Regional Stormwater NPDES Permit (Municipal Regional Permit or MRP), Contra Costa municipalities implement a construction site control program to prevent construction site discharges of pollutants and impacts on receiving waters.  (Jump to C.6 Construction Stormwater Inspection Trainings)

Each jurisdiction:

  • Requires the submittal of an Erosion Control Plan that includes appropriate site specific Best Management Practices (BMPs).
  • Inspects construction projects.
  • Implements an Enforcement Response Plan to respond to and require timely corrections of non-compliant conditions.

State Construction General Permit (CGP)

In addition to complying with Provision C.6, construction projects that disturb an acre or more of soil are required to comply with the State Construction General Permit (CGP). Among other things the CGP requires the development of a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan and the implementation of an inspection and monitoring program.  The California Stormwater Quality Best Management Practices Handbook: Construction provides guidance on complying with the State Construction General Stormwater Permit and includes a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) template.

(New) 2022 CGP Roadshow Recordings ( (2023)

  • The CA State Water Resources Control Board hosted series of informational workshops throughout the State.  The CGP Roadshow provided opportunity for dischargers, municipalities, and stormwater professionals to discuss the new permit requirements.
  • The newly issued 2022 CGP requirements are effective as of September 1, 2023.

(New)  2022 CGP Fact Sheet (PDF) (CCCWP, 2023)
2-page overview of the newly issued 2022 CGP.  This fact sheet is meant for development staff involved in designing and planning municipal projects.

C.6 Construction Stormwater Inspector Trainings

Municipal Regional Permit Provision C.6.f. requires each municipal Permittee to provide training at least every other year to municipal staff responsible for conducting construction site stormwater inspections. The Contra Costa Clean Water Program (CCCWP) organizes and sponsors a C.6 training for its member agencies.  Trainings are designed for staff newly assigned to C.6 reviews and also provide a refresher for experienced staff.  See links below for information from previous trainings.

Provision C.6 in the Municipal Regional Permit (PDF)

Fiscal Year 2023-24 Training

CCCWP C.6 Construction Stormwater Inspection Workshop (January 30, 2024, primarily in-person workshop in Walnut Creek, with an online option)

Fiscal Year 2021-22 Training

C.6 Construction Stormwater Training Workshop (March 30, 2022, virtual meeting)
Alameda Countywide Clean Water Program (ACCWP) collaborated with CCCWP to lead a joint-training to review C.6 basics, pending stormwater permit changes, and case studies.

Fiscal Year 2019-20 Training

C.6 Construction Workshop  (November 14, 2019, in Walnut Creek): 

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Q. Do I need to develop an Erosion Control Plan?

A. If you will be seeking a grading permit from a Contra Costa municipality, yes, you will need to develop and submit an Erosion Control Plan for approval before your grading permit is issued. Your Erosion Control Plan must include site-specific, seasonally appropriate and effective BMPs and must conform to the local grading and stormwater ordinance. Check with the Permitting Authority for details.

2. Q. Do I need to get a State permit for my construction project?

A. If your construction project disturbance (e.g., clearing, grading, excavation) of one acre or more of land part or is part of a larger common plan of development that in total disturbs one or more acres, you must obtain coverage under the State General Construction Activity Stormwater Permit (Construction General Permit). To obtain coverage under the Construction General Permit, you must file Permit Registration Documents electronically in the State’s on line Stormwater Multiple Application and Report Tracking (SMART) System. You can obtain information about the Construction General Permit at the State Water Board’s web site:

3. Q. What if my construction project involves less than 1 acre of a land disturbance?

A. If your project is less than one acre, and you are seeking a grading permit, you will need to develop and Erosion Control Plan. See FAQ #1.

4. Q. Is guidance available for preparing a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP), which is required by the State’s General Construction Permit?

A. Yes. Guidance is available in the California Stormwater Quality Association’s Stormwater Best Management Practice Handbook for Construction: Note that SWPPPs for the Construction General Permit must be prepared by a Qualified SWPPP Developer (QSD). You can find QSDs using this look-up tool:

5. Q. Who is responsible for complying with the Construction General Permit?

A. The owner of the land is responsible for compliance with the General Construction Permit. The owner must engage appropriately qualified individuals to develop the SWPPP, a Qualified SWPPP Developer (QSD), and to implement the SWPPP, a Qualified SWPPP Practitioner (QSP).

6. Q. How do I get more information about the Construction General Permit?

A. Visit the State Water Resources Control Board’s construction program web site: You can also email or call for information:

  • Email:
  • Toll Free: 1-(866)-563-3107